Blackwell Family of Bushey (near Watford)
from the Blackwell notes file at Society of Genealogist London.
source "...." by E. Grant .....published 1970 as Appendix 1 page
Robert Clutterbuck's The History and Antiquities of the County Hertford
(vol 1, pages 334-5)
and wills abstracted by Debretts.
Robert Blackwell of Bushey (lord of the manor 1573-80)
- Robert Blackwell of Grays Inn d.1645 (lord
of the manor 1580-1645) (see his will
dated 1643). Matriculated St. Johns, Cambridge 1579/80. (See also "Alumni
Cantabridgienses" Vol. I.)
married Elinor Kitchin(d.1651) (see
her will dated 1646) dau.of John Kitchin of Grays Inn.
- Robert Blackwell d.1630 (Clerk of the Petty Bag) (what is this office?
- Richard Blackwell, d.1649 (lord of the manor
(see his will dated 1648)
He married Winifred dau. of John White d.1645 ("Century White").
John Wesley is reportedly a descendant of John White.
- Richard Blackwell d.1677 (lord of the
- Winefred Blackwell
- Mary Blackwell
- Thomas Blackwell d.1657 (Merchant Taylor) married Penelope.
- Susanne Blackwell m.Sir William Parkyns (lord of the manor 1677-1696.
- Anne Blackwell m. Rowland Pitts (joint lord of the manor 1677-1685).
- Dorothy Blackwell m. a Greenhil and later Michael Warren of Bushey.
- Mary Blackwell m. John
Treagle of London (his will 1641/2).
- Elinor Blackwell m. Nicholas Colebourne of Watford (brewer)
- Barbara Blackwell m. Thomas Hobson d.1651 (steward of the manor).
- Thomas Hobson d.circa 1689 married Elizabeth Chilcott (Dame Fulley
by a later marriage).
- George Blackwell (sold his share in the manor)
- George Blackwell will.1631 (yeoman and later
gent.) married Ann Moore of Wendover who later married William Bailey*(gent.)
- George d.1683 married Mary a niece of John
- Richard Blackwell
- Elizabeth Blackwell
- Robert Blackwell d.1643 (this date seems to
refer to the date on the will of Robert above. DCB)
- Mary Blackwell (--- may have m. John Brockett according to WPGilbert,
- Susan Blackwell m. Daniel Heyward (ironmonger)
- Daniel Hayward (yeoman) d.1647
Note. some members of the family have been excluded because very little
is known about them.
- 1601/2 Richard Blackwell, of Bushey (Herts)
died, widow Anne.
- 1607. Joan Blackwell, widow, of Bushey (Herts.)
died (Will 241 Clapton. Arch: of St. Albans.) Son Robert Blackwell.
- 1617. Mary, daughter of Robert Blackwell of
Bushey (Herts.) born. See Chancery Proceedings (Bridges C.5/13/76) 1651.
The two people marked * were members of the Volunteer Committe in 1643
(i.e. were strong suporters of Parliment).
I am looking for information on a Mary Blackwell, born ca 1609, in Hertford,
England, daughter of a Richard Blackwell and Elizabeth. Mary married John
Brockett , supposedly, in St. Michaels, Hertford, England, in 1635. Do
you have any data on Richard and his daughter, Mary? I accessed your "Notebook"
yesterday, Sun. the 29th, but today I couldn't access it through AOL. It
kept denying access. Otherwise, I would be trying to go through the material
you have online. The Brockett line was also in Hertfordshire. John Brockett
is affiliated with Brockett Hall of that area. Thank you for any time you
spend looking for data. WPGILBERT@aol.com Dec.30, 1996 --------------------------------
Mary Blackwell (Richard,George,Robert) is a possible match. More research
is needed to document that this Mary Blackwell is the one you are looking
for. Can you tell us more about the descendants of your Mary (Blackwell)
Brockett? especially dates, locations, occupations. Best Regards David
C. Blackwell Dec.31, 1996
This coming weekend I'll E-Mail from the Brockett book on the descendants
of Mary Blackwell and John Brockett from Connecticut. WPGILBERT@aol.com,
Jan. 9, 1997
to : Blackwell Study Group Online Notebook - Table
of Contents DCB 1996