Blackwells of Taddington in Derbyshire
An outline of work in progress 1993-96 compiled by David Craig
The index of Derbyshire Deeds at the Derby Local History Library
shows the following:
(note their may be some confusion between Blackwall in Kirk Ireton
and Blackwell in Taddington
since they are both spelt Blackwall).
- Thomas Blackwell 1638 #552
- Thomas Blackwell 1674 #3921
- John Blackwell of Blackwell yeoman 1652 Mar.25 #69
with William Hand of Cowhouse Lane, re. 4 beastgates, The Winne
Hognaston witn: Jo.Scaler,Robt.Hone,Robt Madocke, John Scaler
- John Blackwell of Blackwell 1674 #3921 Derbyshire Deeds.
Richard Blackwell of Taddigton is buried 1663 Feb.18. His wife
Elizabeth is buried 1653 Nov.8. Their children baptized in Taddington
- Ralph bp. 1644 July
- Margaret bp.1646 Dec.16.
- Grace buried 1659 June 7
Christopher and Ann(buried 1662 July 22) Blackwell of Taddington
have the following 9 children baptised:
- infant buried 1644.
- Richard bp. 1646 July 2, buried 1663 Mar.15.
- Thomas bp.1648 Feb.4.
- Gracia bp.1649 Mar.11, buried 1653 July 1.
- Agnes bp.1653 Oct.9.
- Jana bp.1654 June 29, buried 1656 Jan.11 & 16.
- Alicia bp.1656 Nov.
- daughter bp.1658 Apr.
- Ellen bp.1662 July 22.
Andrew (Andreas) Blackwell of Taddington married 1651 Mar. 17
Anna Douglas. Their children baptised in Taddington are:
- Richard bp.1651 Nov.18 & 29
- George bp.1653
- William bp.1657 May 6.
- Ralph bp.1669 Mar20
- Margaret bp.1672 Jul.21
In addition the IGI shows the following
- Ralph m. Maria Clayton 1669 Nov.22 in Glossop
- Ralph son of Ralph is bap.1678 Mar.16 in G.L
Richard Blackwell of Taddington married 1660 Feb.25 Anne Goodwin.
He died 1706 (Lichfield wills). His will names three son and three
- 1. John bp.1670 Oct.9, is named executor and inherits everything
from his father.
He also inherits five pounds in his brothers will of 1707.
His siblings each get one shilling from their fathers 1706 will.
John died in 1756 (Lichfield wills) and names his two married
daughters and his grandchildren. His will is witnessed by
John Wilson, Richard Scofield, and James Jackson. The IGI shows a marriage
of a John.Blackwell to Elizabeth Lambe on 1704
- Helen m. Thomas Devnapp. Thomas is executor of Johns 1756
The IGI show a Ellen bp.1720 Sep.20 d.o. John.Blackwell.
- John Devnapp inherited the freehold named Wings Close lying north
Taddington pasture in John's 1756 will.
- Mary bap. 1711 Jan.12 m. William Roberts.
The IGI shows Mary bp. 1711 Jan.12 d.o. J.B.
Each her children inherited 10 pounds from John Blackwell's 1756 will.
- Elizabeth b1716 May 24
- Anne bp.1723 Jan.23
- Anne bp.1732 Mar.8
- Elizabeth bp.1741 Jan.21
- 2. William is the eldest son but dies in
1707 unmarried (Lich.wills).
William Blackwell of Blackwell yeoman 1656
- His will says he is of Ashford in Bakewell. He gives 20 shillings
each to his four married sisters and his Taddington lands to his
brother Thomas. His will describes lands between Rowland Eyre
on the east and Sampson White on the west, etc.
- 3. Thomas the youngest brother and William's executor,
He inherited Williams lands in Taddington
He is perhaps the Thomas baptised 1672 Jan.25 s.o. Richard and
The IGI shows the following likely children baptised in Taddington.
- a.George bap.1689 May 4. (s.o. Thomas and Ellen)
- b.Richard bap.1691 Dec.5.
- 4. Grace bp.1665 Aug.25 (her husband William Parter is not
named in her fathers will.)
- 5. Mary bp.1677 m. Thomas Roberts.
- 6. Ann bp.1680 Dec.5 m. Valintine Hayward.
- 7. Elizabeth bp.1662 Apr.20 is not named in fathers will only
in brothers will of 1707.
m. William White.
Other Taddington Blackwells that appear in the IGI are:
- Richard bp.1703 May 16 s.o. Richard B.
- Grace bp.1706 Aug.13 d.o. Richard B.
The IGI show the following in nearby Chelmorten
Richard Blackwell m. Elizabeth Goodwin on 1701 Oct.20
- daughter bp.1696 Aug.16
- Jane bp.1703 Sep.5
- Alice bp.1706 Mar.26
- Elizabeth bp.1709 May 1
- Mary bap.1715 July 28
Many Blackwells are in Ashford.
William Blackwell of Flagg has a probate in 1720
as heirs and executors Richard Blackwell of Chestfield, Richard
Goodwin of Chelmorten and Robert Platts of Flagg. They are perhaps
his son and son in law or perhaps nephews. The inventory signed
for by Thomas Blackwell, George Lomas, and Thomas Gyb was valued
30 pounds. It included one cow and 3 heifers & 30 sheep.
(Chelmorton is next to Taddington).
Note William Blackwell of Flagg is in the hearth tax of 1662-70
Mr. Steve Blackwell descendant of Henry Blackwell ca. 1675, lead
miner of the Peak.
58 Chester St.
Flint, Clywd, Wales
CH6 5BH 0352 763137
Mr. John M.Blackwell son of John Francis Blackwell
son of Richard Blackwell (m. Beatrice Smith
)son of Richard Blackwell( m. Eliz.Kirkham,
res. Parwich Derbys. St.Peter
) son of George Blackwell, stonemason.
Mr. John M.Blackwell
By-Ways, 144 Park Avenue,
DE6 1GB, 0335 342182
The IGI must be examined again as my notes are incomplete.
Also the wills and deeds of sisters and brother in laws should be
searched at Lichfield and other places.
Blackwells in Longstone Derbyshire
Richard Blackwell of Great Longstone shows the baptism of the following children
in Great Longstone:
- 1.Ann bp.1639 Dec.1
- 2.John bp.1648 Feb.9 of Great Longstone shows 2 baptisms in G.L:
- 1.Mary bp.1666 May 22
- 2.Nicholas bp.1667 Feb.8 of Great Longstone show the following in the
He appears to witness Thomas Blackwell's will of 1691.
He shows two marriages first to Alicia Redfern on 1684 June 9 in G.L.
(who apparently has a sister Marget who married a Thomas Blackton in Chelmorton
on 1683 Aug.6)
and secondly to Ann or Jana Clay on 1691
- 1.Samuel bp.1650 Feb.17
- 2.Jane bp.1673 Dec. 7 in G.L.
- 3.John bp.1692 Dec.27
- 4.Alicia bp.1694 Feb.14
- 1.Thomas Blackwell of Great Longston
leaves a will in 1691
He names his brother William, and sister Ann. His will is witnessed by Thomas
Knight, Nicholas Blackwall,(prob. son of John.), Nicholas Hancock, and Tho.Wilson
sur. The estate inventory is witnessed by John Blackwell Thomas Firth, and
John Tomlinson. His estate which included 96 sheep and 28 lambs was valued
at 103 pounds. His will names many debtors who owe him money. The debtor
John Tomlinson, WiIliam Clowse, William Haflorne, Joseph Wriht, Hen.Furnace,
Ellis Dirken, Chris.Jenkinson, Robert Hoolow, Hellen Hankok, Fran. Hodgkinson,
Edw.Howard, Thom.Firth, Thom. Hodgkinson, Robt.Waine, John Board, Benj.Waine,
Geo.Bearnwell, Dan.Needham, Edw. Howard, Hen.Winterbotham, Robt.Baxtor,
Dan.Needham Jr.,Widd.Xollars, Jam.Wright, Geo.Garlick, Mary Ashton
He gave to Mary and Elizabeth Firth daughters of Thomas Firth of Eyam 3
pounds (they are perhaps his nieces if their mother was Sarah named in Edmunds
1677 will), to Tho.Simpson the best
suit of clothes, to Nicholas Hancoke's 2 sons Tho. and Nicholas 6 ewes He
made his aunt Ann Clay and nephew Thomas Hodgkinson the co heirs and executors
- 2.William Blackwell of Great Longston named in his brothers 1691 will
as Elizabeth's father. His three children's baptisms are recorded
in Great Longston (IGI)
- 1.Henry bap.1671 Aug.27
- 2.Elizabeth bap.1673 Feb. 5 inherits 5 pounds (1691 will)
- 3.John bap.1675 Feb.5
- 3.Ann (Blackwell) Hodgkinson is named in her brothers 1691
She married on 1671 May 1 in G.L (IGI) Thomas Hodginson
Their children are named in Williams 1691 will.
- 1.Thomas eldest son, coheir and executor with Ann Clay of Williams
- 2.William the two younger sons
- 3.Robert inherit five pounds together (1691 will).
Edmund Blackwell of Great Longston marries Ann Blackwall
He leaves a will in 1677 (Lich. wills) naming his wife Ann executor
and has as witnesses R. Spencer and Sarah Spencer, perhaps his
He gives Thomas Blackwell of Great Longston 5 ewe sheep
(this is probably the Thomas Blackwell above whose will is dated
1691 (Lich. wills)
Gives Henry Blackwell of Winster his natural brother one shilling
(note a Henry Blackwell of Wirksworth baps. a son Anthony 1667
(note a Henry Blackwell m. Elizabeth Smith in Croxall 1679 Sept.9
Gives to six children of Richard Blackwell (see below) six ponne
a piece and to
William Hyndman and Eliz. Allen six ponne apiece.
Gives to the son of Henry Blackwell six ponne
Gives to William, Sarah, and Ann Blackwell six ponne a piece
(are they Thomas Blackwell's (will1691) siblings?
Gives to Grace Wayne six ponne
And gives all the rest to his wife Ann.
Richard Blackwell apparently marries twice. He m2. Grace Rippen
on 1686 Nov.20 in Taddington He is probably the Richard Blackwell
whose six children get six ponne a piece
from Edmund Blackwells 1677 will. His children are recorded being
in Great Longston in the IGI:
- Ann bap.1672 Dec.8
- Edmund bap.1674 Feb.7
- Jane bap.1676 Dec.17
- Fortune bap.1681 Oct.9 m.1701 Aug.19 Immanuel Cooper
- Sarah bap.1684 Mar.15
It appears Richard's first wife dies and he marries Grace Rippon
- Sarah bap. 1687 May 22
note a Sarah B. marries George Garlick 1706 Apr.17.
- Richard bap.1687 May 22
- Thomas bap. 1689 June 16
Davenport Blackwell died in 1775 (Lich. wills)
His probate given
to Richard Chapman surrogate, names only two sons Davenport and
Josiah as co executors. His children are probably those named
in his sons will of 1787 and recorded as baptised in the IGI.
- Samuel bap. 1715 Aug.20 in Taddington
- Elizabeth bap. 1719 May 14 in Taddington
- John bap. 1719 May 14 in Taddington.
- Josiah Joshua bap.1720 Feb. 18 in Taddington
Francis and Josiah are given 1 shilling from the 1787 will.
Joshua and Sarah Blackwell in Ashford baptise a son
- John Davenport Blackwill bp.1831 Apr.10
- John bap.1722 Oct. 13 in G.L., of Ashford in 1787.
He is inherits all his brother Davenport's property
- Davenport bap. 1726 May 29, leaves a will in
He is called a carpenter of Baslow in his will.
He gives his brother John his property so long as his wife Mary
gets 20 pounds a year from John. They have no surviving children.
- Samuel bap. 1730 June 7 in G.L.
- Sarah bap.1734 Oct.14 in G.L
- Martha bap. 1734 Oct.14 in G.L.
John Blackwell of Ashford
- Elizabeth bp.1748 July 21
William and Sarah Blackwell of Great Longstone show the following
children in the IGI
- John bp.1848 June 11
- William bp.1853 May 22 m. Elizabeth Eyre 1878 June 11 in
- Elizabeth bp.1857 June 21
- Francis bp.1859 May 19
Richard and Mary Blackwell of Great Longstone show the following children
in the IGI
- Elizabeth Mary bp.1864 Dec.4