Ensign Philip King came over from England with his brothers Cyrus
and Thomas, previous to the year 1680 and located first in Braintree,
In 1680 he came from Braintree to that part of Taunton which
is now Raynham.Taunton was settled in 1639. He married Judith
Whitman of Milton(sic) (of Weymouth) dau. of John Whitman. They
had 8 children.
- Mary married John Leonard.
- Esther m.Stephen Williams
- Lydia m.Nathaniel Williams
- Judith m.- Alden. her dau. Abigail married Col. Zephaniah
Leonard of Raynham and lived to be over 100 years of age. She
died in 1845.
- Abigail married- Padelford, MD
- Elizabeth m..John Hall
- Experience " - White
- John m. Alice Dean
II. John King (Philip)was born about 1681, died in 1741, married
Alice Dean of Taunton, who died in 1746.They had 8 children.
- Jonathan (twins born about 1712.)
III. Philip King (John, Philip)was born in 1701, died in 1786,
married for his first wife Abigail, daughter of Samuel Williams.
They had 3 children.
For his second wife he married a widow Paddelford.
They had 3 children.
4.Bathaheba, who married George Williams (Hannah K. H. Bradford's
Philip King was Capt. of Militia and first representative to the
General Court from Raynham. He was proprietor of "Taunton
IV. John King (Philip, John, Philip)born in Raynham, was part
owner of the "Forge Iron Works; " was a Capt. in the
American Revolutionary Army, Walker's Regiment. His company was
on Boston Neck when the battle of Bunker Hill was fought in 1775,
and continued with the army till the war closed. He not only recruited
his own company but armed and equipped them at his own expense.He
married Catharine, daughter of Samuel Leonard of Taunton,Mass.
The Leonards were (thought) to descended from the nobility of
England - Title Dacre - They had 6 children.
- John King
- Nathan King.
- Isaac King.
- Silas King.
- Zenas King (died young).
- Bathaheba King.
V. John King (John, Philip, John, Philip)was born 1756, died Apr.
29, 1827. He was a private in the Company of which his father
was Capt., as were his two brothers, Nathan and Isaac. Their cousin,
George King, (ancestor of Gen. Horatia King) being Orderly Sergeant.
He was married four times. His first wife was Hannah Randall of
Scituate, .~ass., who died Jan. 1806. by her he had 8 children.
His second wife was Nancy Wilbur, who left no children. His third
wife, Betsey Shaw, left no children.
His fourth wife was Sally Weed, a widov;, by whom. he had 4 children.
- Susannah King (1779 - 1852) was born Apr. 23, 1779, died Apr.12,1852,married
Amos Hall of Raynham. Oct. 20, 1803. VII. Amos R. Hall, Simeon
F. Hall, Emma W.Hall
- Hannah King (1781 - 1879) was born Jan. 25) 1781, died Dec.
2, 1879,lacking but one month and 23 days of beginning her 99th
year.She married Capt. Nathaniel Davis of Barnstable, Mass.(more
back of book)
- Abigail King (1784 - 1872) was born Apr. 26, 1784, died March
4, 1872,married Zenas King of Raynham. Children - Sarah Dean King,.
- Harriet King (1785 -1821) was born Apr. 26, 1785, died Sept.
She married Andrews of Raynham. Child - Maria Andrews
- Mary, or Polly King (1788 -1859) was born Feb. 26, 1788, died
May 22, 1859, married Capt. John Williams.
- Lois King (1790 -1876) was born Apr. 30, 1790, died Oct. 17,
1876, married Briareus Hathaway of Raynham. Children - Samuel
Hathaway, John Hathaway.
- John King (1792-1850) was born July 12, 1792, died Jan. 22,
1850, married Sally White.Children - Otis King, Cromwell King,
Bradford King, Apollus King, Philo King
- Bathsheba King (1794-1879) was born April 26, 1794, died Jan.
25, 1879, married Andrew Backus. They removed to Columbus, Ohio.
VI. Children by the 4th wife.
- Horatio King, married a daughter of Aretus Forbes of Bridgewater.
- Leprelet King, died in 1862 in the Army of the Civil War.
- Catharine King d.1862, married George White.
- Jane King, married Orrin Bassett
VI. Hannah King (John, John, Philip, John, Philip)was born in
Raynham Jan. 25, 1782 or 1781, died Dec. 2, 1879-80. She married
Nathaniel Davis of Barnatable,Sept. 2, 1806. They were married
by Rev. Perez Forbes at Raynham. Nathaniel Davis was born Feb.
8? 1782, died Jan 5, 1829. .Their children
- Sarah Caroline Davis born Sept. 29, 1807
- Camilla Davis b.May 1l, 1809
- Harriet Davis b. May 9, 1811
- Hannah Davis b.March 30, 1815
- Hetty Davis b.Feb. 16, 1819
- John Davis b.March 12, 1825,died March 22,1826
Sarah Davis married John Davenport June 5, 1834 in New York. She
died March 29, 1881.Children
1. John Davenport, born March 9, 1835 - died Nov. 5, 1844.
2. Alfred Davenport, born April 17, 1837.
3. Hannah Davenport, born June 5, 1839.
4. Carrie Davenport, born Sept. 15, 1842.
5. Emily Davenport, born Aug. 1~, 1843. Married Benjamin Brown,Jan.
6. Henry Davenport, born Nov. 5, 1845.
3. Hannah Davenport (John...) married Atherton Brown of Boston;
Oct. 1876. Children
(1.)Alice W. born July 20, 1877.
(2.)Davenport born Aug. 9, 1879.
Carrie married William Willis in June 1867.Children
- Margrett, born Sept. 24, 1869.
- Davenport,. b.Nov. 29, 1871.
- Carrie, b.Dec. 14, 1872.
- Willie b.Nov. 24, 1875.
- Frederick b.Sept. 8, 1879.
Camilla Davis married William H.Leonard,Aug.31,1837.Children
- Camilla Leonard, b.Oct. 1, 1838. Married Walter Edwards Oct.
14, 1863. 4 Children
- Camilla Edwards, b.Oct. 21, 1864, died Apr.13,1866.
- Alice Edwards, born June 11, 1868.
- Henry Leonard Edwards, born Oct. 14, 1870.
- Hetty De Forest Edwards, born March 18, 1879.
- Robert Leonard, b.March 31, 1843. Married Mary L. Barnes,
March 31, 1869. Children
- Martha, born April 14, 1870.
- Camilla, b.June 23, 1871.
- William Henry,born March 29, 1873.
- Mary Evelyn, b.March 19, 1874.
- Katharine C. b.July 5, 1878.
3. Harriet Davis (dau. of Nathaniel Davis and Hannah King) married
Frederick White of Haverhill, Jan. 17, 1833. She died Aug. 2,
- Leonard, born Dec. 14, 1833.
- Frederick White b. April 14, 1836, died Feb. 23, 1886.
- Robert White,b. Oct. 16, 1838.
- Nathaniel White, born Dec. 12, 1840.
- Alfred White, born July 18, 1844, died May 4, 1873.
- Willlam White, b. Nov. 16, 1846.
- Eben C. White, b. March 7, 1848, died Feb. 7, 1852.
Leonard White (Frederick...) married Mary Van Dusen April 5, 1866.
- Leonard White, born April 3, 1867.
- Grace V.D.White, born July 3, 1869, died Apr. 25, 1877
- Robert D.White, b.March 9, 1871.
- Harrlet D.White, b. Aug.8,1873.
- 5.Samuel White, b. Dec.14,1876
- 6.Nellie White, b. Dec.14,1876
3. Robert White married Alice Minturn, Oct. 14, 1868.Children:
- Frederick White, born Dec. 4, 1869.
- Niobe White b. Nov. 15, 1871.
- Alice White b. July 25, 1873.
- Robert White H. b. Nov. 20, 1879.
6. William White married Ella Clawison, Oct. 14, 1879.
4. Hannah Davis married Walter Brush. She died April 9,1874
5. Hetty Davis married Robert T. Woodward, Feb. 7, 1838. Children
- Benjamin Woodward, born April 8, 1839 - died ~ay 9, 1855.
- Camilla Woodward, born Feb. 24, 1842. Married Courtland D.
Moss, Dec. 1867. Children
- Camilla W. Moss, born Jan 1, 1869.
- Robert W. Moss, born Dec. 25, 1871.
- Clara W. Moss, born Apr. 5, 1873.
- Hetty Moss, born 1877, died March, 1878.
- Nathalie Moss, born Oct. 12, 1878.
- Harriet, born July 22, 1845, died Aug. 10, 1851.
- Anna MaryWoodward, b.March 10, 1849. Married Henry Babcock,
Nay 28, 1873. Children
- Samuel Babcock, born April 19, 1874.
- Woodward Babcock, b. June 14, 1876, Killed by polo ball, 1904.
- Alice Babcock, born Dec. 27 1877. Alice married Amory J. Hodges.
- __ Hodges died at Groton of pneumonia.
- John King Hodges.
- Alice Woodward, born Jan 15, 1855.
- Clara Woodward, born Feb. 28, 1858.
Hingham's historian tells of a man who had seven maternal ancestors
in succession who bore the name of Hannah.
His grandmother was Hannah King of Raynham, who was the daughter
of Hannah Randall, who was the daughter of Hannan Leavitt, who
was the daughter of Hannah Dean, who was the daughter of Hannah
Lansing, who was the daughter of Hannah Clapp, who was the daughter
of Hannah Gill, who was a Hingham woman.